|Paros has been inhabited since very ancient times, and was one of the centers of the Cycladic civilization. There was Late Bronze Age installation on the summit of the hill at Parikia and, as finds from here indicated, the island was also in contact with mainland Greece. During the 6th and 5th century BC there was a school of sculpting on Paros (Scoppas, Agorakritos) and art and letters flourished. Paros is the home of the 7th century lyric poet Archilochos. In 1217 it was captured by the Venetians and seded to the Duchy of Naxos until 1389. It was then governed by a succession of families (Crispi, Sommaripa) until it was pillaged by Barbarossa in 1537. Between 1770 and 1774 it was the headquarters of the Russian fleet under Orloff.|
|Must see: Parikia, is a typical Cycladic tone with paved streets, archways (volta), dazzling white houses interspersed with churches and windmills.There is a ruinous Venetian castle, and the courtyards of the houses of the town-all of them painted white-are full of pots of basil and hung with jasmine and honeysuckle.A broad paved avenue leads to the church of Ekatondapiliani or Katapoliani, one of the most important Byzantine monuments in the whole Greece and a place that figures largely in legent.It is dedicated to the Dormition of Our Lady,and on her feast day (15 August) there is a great celebration on the sea-front with fireworks and songs of the sea.Statues found at various sites on Paros are on display in the National Archaeological Museum, Athens.
Treis Ekkllisies, Longovardas Monastery, Naoussa, Marmara, Piso Livadi, Krios, Santa Maria, Kostos, Convent of Thapsana, Marathi, Psychopiana, Alyki, Pounta,Langeri, Agii Anargiri, Piperi,Agios Focas, Livadia,Krios, Aghios Phocas,Drios etc are some of the beautiful beaches of Paros.Paros is an ideal destination for those in search of cosmopolitan bustle and for lovers of solitude alike.It has a full range of tourist amenities.|