Corinth lies 75 km (45 mi. ) west of Athens. The Isthmus of Corinth is the link between the Peloponnese and Sterea Hellas. The first attempts to cut the canal were made in antiquity, but were not realized until recently (1881-1893)
Ancient Corinth was one of the richest cities, owing its wealth to its strategic position on the Isthmus of Corint with two ports, one on the Aegean sea (Kenchreai) and one on the Ionian sea (Lecheon). Corinth flourished under the Macedonia rule, but it was destroyed by the Roman in 146 BC for rebelling against Rome. In 44 BC, Julius Ceasar began rebuilding the city and it again became a prosperous port. Corinth was the one of the most important cities of ancient Greece. The ancient temple of Corinth (6th century BC ) was dedicated to Apollo .Out of its 21 Doric columns only 7 and piece of peristyle survive.
Must see: The Isthmus of Corinth (Coringh Canal) link between Sterea Hellas and Peloponnese.The first attempts to cut a canal were made in antiquity, but were not realized until quite recently (1881-1893). Temple of Apollo, the Agora, remains of Julian Basilica and the Lower Peirene fountain.The Lecheon road , the Peribolos of Apollo, a courtyard with Ionic columns, the public latrine. The museum houses , reliefs, friezes, statues, mosaics, and figurines . On the higher site of Acrocorinth there are some remains of the Temple of Aphodite.
Copyright 2000-2014, Destination Greece. All rights reserved. No one, for any reason, is permitted to copy the photos, graphics, text or any content or information presented on these pages without written permission from Destination Greece